Control Data ad: Omega 480 "370 compatible alternative" on eBay

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Sep 6 23:36:05 CDT 2015

On 09/06/2015 07:54 PM, Mark Linimon wrote:
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-197X-RARE-CONTROL-DATA-AD-OMEGA-480-370-COMPATIBLE-ALTERNATIVE-Q-/271967493965?hash=item3f52869f4d
>
>  Not that I'm going to bid on it, but ... I had never heard of this
> CDC product before.  Does anyone have any idea if this was a real
> product, or just a way to poke IBM in the eye, or what?

It's not a CDC product--it was made by IPL Systems, Inc. and marketed by
CDC and supplied with CDC peripherals.  I don't know if the agreement
yielded much in sales; by 1981, IPL was selling to end users under its
own brand.

Olivetti also sold IPL iron.

Yet another of several IBM mainframe clone makers.

--Chuck