punchcard svg file available

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Sep 10 15:32:21 CDT 2015

> On Sep 10, 2015, at 2:40 PM, Sean Caron <scaron at umich.edu> wrote:
>
> I have a few old ... let's just say Hollerith cards ... LOL ... and the
> stock feels a little reminiscent of that of a manilla folder or 3x5 card,
> but slightly thicker. It's kind of an odd basis weight ... too heavy for
> cheap folders, too light for expensive folders ... wouldn't be amenable to
> running through a printer due to the rigidity ... so probably very few
> applications for that particular grade of paper besides making Hollerith
> cards ... I'm not totally surprised it would be hard to find these days.

Wikipedia mentions the thickness spec: 0.007 inches (180 µm) thick.  And it refers to ANSI and ISO standards that specify the card in more detail, but of course those are the kind of unfriendly standards that you have to pay for.

Card stock exists in a large number of varieties.  It may be perfectly straightforward if you look in a paper company catalog (the kind that supplies paper to print shops).  For example, with a quick look at Mohawk Paper company I see a dozen different papers.  Picking one of them ("Options") shows a very smooth paper in 13 different thickness specs from .0036 to .0185 inches -- and .0069 is one of the choices listed.

	paul