PDP-11 architecture Was: internet blocking problem ?

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Fri Sep 11 10:41:06 CDT 2015

On 2015-09-11 17:33, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-09-11 16:49, Warner Losh wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se>
>>> wrote:

>>> I loved the PDP-11 architecture, until I wanted to run programs on it that
>>> relied on the overlay manager and the overlays got to be 8 or 9 deep. Then
>>> it was... painful.
>>>

>> Uh? What do that have to do with the PDP-11 architecture? Overlays are a
>> thing specific to the operating system and linker, and looks and works
>> differently in different OSes on the PDP-11, if they have them at all.
>>
>> Mind you, even having said that, overlays are just a userland
>> implementation of demand paging. Conceptually they are dead easy.
>> Now, the overlay description language, as well as the capabilities in RSX,
>> can make people seasick. But once you've worked with them for a while, you
>> realized that most of the time it is not that tricky.
>

> Well, the 16-bit address space forced a maximum limit on the text size of
> the program that could be in memory at any time. This made the overlay
> stuff trickier, since you had to use some kind of overlays (either managed
> by the linker or the OS or some experimental home-grown stuff we tried).
> Sure, the details were OS specific, but the tight memory of the
> architecture forced some kind of mechanism. If your text space was <64k,
> then OS demand paging was good. But if you needed more, there were no real
> good choices.

Ok. Well, yes, I believe we all agree that a larger address space would
have been nice. Even DEC noted that one pretty soon.
Just like Jon Elson said initially. :-)

Overlays were a way to try getting around the address space limitations.
I still would not consider overlays as any part of the PDP-11
architecture. But maybe that is just me.

	Johnny