information about the Bendix G-15 and Rice Research Computer?

Randy Dawson rdawson16 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 11 13:24:47 CDT 2015

There was a 'slice' of the R1 floating about with some friends of mine in Houston.  It was about the size and shape of the 2001 monolith.  From what I was told, it represented one register, probably a byte, and constructed of about 100 vacuum tubes.  It served as a conversation piece and a coffee table (beer table) at a CAD rep firm, later sat for a few years in a friends garage next to Billy Gibbons twin red Thunderbirds (he was a collector of toys like this).

This particular piece of the R1 now sits in the Rice Library in the Woodson Research Center.  I encourage anyone while in Houston to go have a look, the construction is a work of art, and beautiful.

Randy