TSS/8 with modern disks?

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Sat Sep 19 13:12:24 CDT 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 01:49:38PM -0400, COURYHOUSE at aol.com wrote:
>I  would  think  the  fixed  head   media  swapped  faster than the RK's
>unlessthee   fixed  head  media  was really  slow...  Ed#

The DS/RS disks certainly weren't slow ... but an RK could still be fast
enough to be useful.  I'm thinking the hard part would be shoveling out
enough space for a sector buffer, so that it could do word insert/extract
operations and make the RFILE/WFILE calls still act more or less like the
DMAR/DMAW instructions on the DF/RF.  My understanding is that RKs as
data disks used different calls (and weren't file-structured).

John Wilson
D Bit