Structured Fortran - was Re: Self modifying code, lambda calculus

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Tue Sep 22 23:55:14 CDT 2015

On 9/22/2015 11:22 PM, ben wrote:
> On 9/22/2015 10:08 PM, Jay Jaeger wrote:

>>> Until you needed compled err complex numbers.
>>>
>>> Ben.
>>>

>> Huh?
>
> Often real problems need complex numbers. Comp Sci often ignores real life
> problems. Ben.

What confused me is what was meant by "compled err".  Say what?   Huh?

Anyway, I addressed in another response just how trivial it would be to
define a complex number as a C "struct", and write a set of routines for
the necessary manipulations (arithmetic operators,
input/output/transformation from and to strings, etc).  In C++ one could
even overload the normal arithmetic operators for that.  Not an issue at
all.

Indeed a definition and set of routines to do the computational part of
a "complex" data type exists in the book "Numerical Recipes in C".
Takes all of 3 pages.

JRJ