cctalk Digest, Vol 15, Issue 24

mark at markesystems.com mark at markesystems.com
Thu Sep 24 16:37:29 CDT 2015

>> I don't know what you're looking at for the front end of this project,
>> but have you considered SQLite for the database engine back end?  If
>
>No, I would not consider it.  I have experience with it on my Garmin GPS
>unit.  I really dislike it.

Wow - I'm quite surprised at that.  It is in *everything*: Android, iOS,
FireFox, Chrome, - the list goes far on.  Personally, I've never used it on
an embedded platform, although I'm certainly keeping it in my back pocket
for the time when I need an embedded database.  What problems have you
experienced?

I have used it on PC platforms, and have been quite impressed with how
robust the database structure is.  It's all contained in one file, and it's
an in-process library, not a server.  This makes it not-as-good for
massively multi-user stuff, but *much* easier to administer; no daemons to
manage, and just one database file (like Access, but better).

I use it for industrial automation applications, and have tested it a lot to
see if I could corrupt the database.  Basically,  unless I deliberately
mangled the container file, I couldn't get it to fail non-gracefully, even
by turning of the power while writing the file.  (This was not a full,
rigorous failure study, but I've got a lot of them out there now, and
although I get plenty of support calls a screwed-up database is never the
root cause.)

Just my experience...
~~
Mark Moulding