A tale of a chip and a socket

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Sat Apr 9 09:42:46 CDT 2016

On 04/09/2016 5:29 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > From: Torfinn Ingolfsen
>
>      > Most likely a bad solder joint.
>
> That was my first thought, and so I carefully inspected all the pins, but
> they all looked good to me. But I suppose it might have been something that
> wasn't visually obvious.
>
> 	Noel

If you suspect solder try simply reheating the legs of the suspect chip
to see if that cures it.

It could also be that the chip is drifting out of tolerance and the clip
you put on it added enough extra capacitance (we're talking picofarads
here) that it was happy again. The IC socket may add just enough
capacitance again to help the chip get back into its operation band. Has
anyone else got a similar board and that particular chip has a very
small value cap on one or more of its legs?

I see this on my 1970s video game boards from time to time - a board
from the factory would have an added cap on one chip that isn't shown on
the schematics or in my meagre collection of service bulletins for that
game. The job was obviously factory as the connection is as clean as all
the other connections on the board.

Data books don't talk much about this bypass caps issue either, I
believe it is part of the 'magic smoke' of TTL logic...

John :-#)#

                  www.flippers.com