Getting an ibm as/400

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Wed Apr 13 14:08:31 CDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 01:26:29AM -0400, Ian Primus wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 12:42 AM, Jason T <silent700 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > In IBM-speak, it's a "Midrange."
>
> Which is a fancy word for "unusually heavy for its size".

That's the truth.  In a previous reply I mentioned I have a "small" 9406-270
in my living room.  I found it listed on eBay.  It was in New York.  I'm in
Central Texas.  It was listed with a flat $50 shipping fee.  From the photos
and shipping fee I was expecting something small enough to be shipped by UPS
or FedEx.  I made the seller an offer $50 less than the list price which
they accepted, so I basically got free shipping.  It was shipped by UPS
- UPS Freight.  There was no way UPS Fright could get down my driveway so I
had to pick it up at their terminal.  Fortunately it was shipped on a tiny
pallet that just fit in the back of my mini-van.  It looks like an oversized
tower PC, but is definitely unusually heavy for its size.  I have to use a
dolly to move it around.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.