Xerox Alto on eBay

Josh Dersch JoshD at LivingComputerMuseum.org
Thu Apr 14 12:34:03 CDT 2016

No, they're as different as can be.  The key is that we have a Xerox UNIBUS 3Mbit Ethernet board in the 11/44 (kindly provided by Al.)

I modified the 2.11BSD kernel to support the 3Mbit board (there's already technically a driver but it was incredibly broken and I'm not sure it ever actually ran on a PDP-11), added support for reading/writing raw Ethernet packets using BSD sockets (and added support for that to the DEUNA/DELUA driver as well) and wrote a rough implementation of PUP BSP and the Alto CopyDisk protocol on top of all of that.  It was fun!

So we copy disk images to/from the PDP-11/44 over 3Mbit Ethernet to the Alto :).

- Josh