ROM Cartridges. Lifespan, and other tidbits

Andrew Burton aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 14:17:45 CDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: "Swift Griggs" <swiftgriggs at gmail.com>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"
<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 3:53 PM
Subject: ROM Cartridges. Lifespan, and other tidbits

> Seen the crazy prices for rare Neo Geo carts? $400 bucks for "Twinkle Star
> Sprites" ? Sure!
>
> -Swift

Heh! I knew someone around 15 years ago that paid £700 for a rare Japanese
Neo Geo cartridge. (No, I can't recall which game)

Another cartridge related question I'd like to throw open to the collective:
what about cartridges that have internal saves on them, such as Super Mario
World (SNES) or Micro Machines (Megadrive)? Does playing them regularly
really recharge the battery/non-volatile RAM so they continue to keep the
saves intact?
I usually play my cart games with saves on every year and that seems to keep
the saves intact (Donkey Kong Country 1 (SNES) is about 22 years old now and
I bought the game at it's UK launch).

Regards,
Andrew Burton
aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk