ROM Cartridges. Lifespan, and other tidbits

Andrew Burton aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 14:29:03 CDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: <ethan at 757.org>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"
<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: ROM Cartridges. Lifespan, and other tidbits

> > Remember the ones like Starfox for the SNES that had coprocessors
embedded
> > on them? Those were neat.
>
> Yes, I think there were only two for the SNES but I could be wrong. Check
> out Pitfall II on the Atari 2600, it has a sound processor in the cart.
>
> --
> Ethan O'Toole

Sorry, you are wrong. I own  three SNES games that use the SFX chip:
Starfox, Stunt Race FX and Yoshi's Island (SFX chip used for sprite rotation
and 3D objects, such as doors that fell towards the screen). There was to be
a Stunt Race FX 2 game, but I believe it was cancelled and never released.

The Megadrive had a few games too, with the SVP (Sega Virtua Processor)
chip: Virtua Fighter (I think?), Virtua Racing (definately) and Vectorman (I
think?).

 Regards,
Andrew Burton
aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk