High performance coprocessor boards of the 80s and 90s - was Re: SGI ONYX

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Wed Apr 20 08:57:32 CDT 2016

On 2016-04-20 5:12 AM, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Intel's effort at RISC. Didn't go so well for them, but did inspire
>> the name of Windows NT and was the original host platform for the
>> then-new OS.
>>

> The i860 was a neat little bugger. There was an iPSC/860 done by Intel
> which would be a fun box to save/rescue/run with its own variation of Unix.

There were some coprocessor cards that used it as well - I see them on
ebay periodically. I think the YARC used AMD 29K... was there an
i860/i960 version as well?

I'm changing the subject because the subject of RISC coprocessor boards
has already been interesting to me; I owned the NuBus Levco Translink II
(for Mac II family) with four TRAM slots for transputers.

Also going to mention the BBC Tube coprocessor here. Which had an ARM
version, iirc.

--Toby