High performance coprocessor boards of the 80s and 90s - was Re: SGI ONYX

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 07:04:53 CDT 2016

On 04/20/2016 10:00 AM, Toby Thain wrote:
> Nice collection. I'd forgotten about the 32016! What software ran on these
> respective processors?

OS-wise the 32016 ran something called Panos, with Pandora as the firmware
- mostly written in Modula-2.  Acorn (working with Logica) attempted a
Xenix port, and some documentation references Xenix as being available, but
I don't think it was ever released; having to run all the I/O across the
Tube interface just proved to be too much of a bottleneck.