Accelerator boards - no future? Bad business?

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 09:57:44 CDT 2016

On 04/22/2016 01:51 PM, Eric Christopherson wrote:
> I like the new types of peripherals but it makes me a little uncomfortable
> knowing that e.g. in the case of the uIEC-SD for Commodores, the clock
> speed of the peripheral is 16 to 20 times that of the original host CPU.

Honestly, I can't see the point in modern upgrades except perhaps for
temporary use in order to get data to/from original equipment. At the point
where people start adding emulated storage, USB interfaces, VGA display
hardware etc. it stops being a vintage system and starts being a modern
version which just happens to still have a few vintage parts. May as well
say screw it and just use an emulator for the whole thing...

Now upgrades within the realm of what would have been possible during a
system's lifetime I can get on board with - using period components to
implement things such as Ethernet interfaces, accelerators, extra memory etc...

J.