AlphaStation 200 NVRAM Problem

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 26 15:46:11 CDT 2016

I just got some very interesting results.

I examined the bank 8 configuration register contents using the console. It
contained 0x0136, which suggests the cache is not valid. The base address
register contained 0x4000.

So I booted VMS and modified my code to read the same locations.  Pleasingly
the code read back the same values. Which I hope means my code is correct.

I then went back to the console to check the bank 0 configuration register
which gave me 0x0069, which indicates it is valid. So there is a good chance
I am reading the right things.

This I think explains why I get the machine check. While in the console I
changed the bank 8 config register to 0x0137, and then I was able to read
and write to the address of the flashbus index register, but it didn't
change the LEDs when I wrote to the data register, and reading back the data
register gave me a value I didn't write. So there is still something not
right, perhaps the other values in the bank 8 config register, because I
don't know what they mean. However the base address seems correct as it's
value is 0x4000 (the raw value in the register), and this equates to
0x1.000.0000 based on it being bits 19 upwards in the physical address
space.

I wonder if the SROM failing to read the DROM means that it does not set up
bank 8?

Regards

Rob