SWTPC 6800

Pete Lancashire pete at petelancashire.com
Fri Aug 5 12:45:19 CDT 2016

My 2cents

Some of this may have been mentioned. Your going to need an oscilloscope,
and a scope probe with a good ground. Your 'scope probe should
be less than 15 pF. Anymore and the probe will start to filter out any high
frequency noise.

Is the supplies output grounded ?, If so that point is where you put your
ground clip. Since this will be 90% of what you will find, I won't go into
non grounded DC sources.

Check what the output of your DC supplies looks like. The actual voltage
and the amount of ripple (60/120 or 50/100 Hz noise) and other noise
and what the ground at the exit of the supply looks like. Yes the ground.
If your happy with no ground noise you can use that point for your
ground clip.

Lets assume you have boards that plug in to a backplane. With all the
boards installed what do the supplies and again the ground(s) look like ?

Have an extender ? For each board, look at where the boards ground passes
to the backplane, if that point looks good, then you can move your
probes ground to that location. Now do the same thing, if just a 2 layer
board look at the ground pins on various devices, starting with the 'big'
chips,
then bus drivers, etc. Basically the devices that swing a lot of current.

Unique for memory boards. do the same for every device. Is the ground and
power pin clean ? One reason to look at every device is there maybe
a defective decoupling cap. Or sadly not enough of them. If the board is
only 2 layers and there is not a cap for each and every memory chip the fun
beings.

To keep things short, if the supply lines do not looks clean, your going to
be wasting a lot of time. What is clean, there is not short answer,
think about < 50-100 mV on every chip, specially memory devices.

Even the 'big boys' that should have know better designed and shipped a lot
of hardware that totally sucked.