Microvax II hardware not recognized

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 10:58:51 CDT 2016

On 8/18/2016 5:12 PM, Adrian Graham wrote:
> On 18/08/2016 04:37, "Douglas Taylor" <dj.taylor4 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I've brought up a MicroVax II and installed VMS 5.5-2 on a SCSI2SD disk
>> and it is fun to work with.  (I also installed openvms 7.2 without much
>> drama)
>>
>> The problem I am having is that is has a TK50 tape drive and controller,
>> but it never has shown up in the device list.  I even swapped in a
>> different controller.
> What type of cab? BA23 or BA123 'world box'? In the BA123 the left 4 slots
> from the left are CD interconnect, in a BA23 just the left 2. CD
> interconnect means you can put a half-height card in the 'top' of slots 1-4
> (or 1-2) and not need anything in the bottom. Which slot are you putting the
> TQK50 in?

It is the World Box, BA123 and I have hardware manuals that came with
the MVII.
When I got it this was the configuration:
Slot 1 - CPU
Slot 2 - Memory
Slot 3 - Bus Grant Card M9047
Slot 4 - DHV11
Slot 5 - TQK50  (upper) M9047 (lower)
Slot 6 - RQDX2

The new configuration is:

Slot 1 - CPU
Slot 2 - Memory (Clearpoint)
Slot 3 - Memory (DEC)
Slot 4 - DHV11
Slot 5 - TQK50  (upper) VIKING (lower)
Slot 6 - RQDX2

I even tried moving the cards:

Slot 1 - CPU
Slot 2 - Memory (Clearpoint)
Slot 3 - Memory (DEC)
Slot 4 - Bus Grant M9047
Slot 5 - DHV11
Slot 6 - TQK50  (upper) VIKING (lower)
Slot 7 - RQDX2

In the last two configurations VMS sees the disk/floppy controller just
fine but not the tape or serial ports.
Today I will pull the DHV11 and put it in the MV4000 and see if it shows
up just to check if the board is OK.
If there is none, or a faulty, TK50 drive attached the controller does
VMS react to this?
Doug