Microvax II hardware not recognized

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 13:55:27 CDT 2016

On 8/19/2016 12:19 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
>> On Aug 19, 2016, at 11:58 AM, Douglas Taylor <dj.taylor4 at comcast.net> wrote:

>> It is the World Box, BA123 and I have hardware manuals that came with the MVII.
>> When I got it this was the configuration:
>> Slot 1 - CPU
>> Slot 2 - Memory
>> Slot 3 - Bus Grant Card M9047
>> Slot 4 - DHV11
>> Slot 5 - TQK50  (upper) M9047 (lower)
>> Slot 6 - RQDX2
>>
>> The new configuration is:
>>
>> Slot 1 - CPU
>> Slot 2 - Memory (Clearpoint)
>> Slot 3 - Memory (DEC)
>> Slot 4 - DHV11
>> Slot 5 - TQK50  (upper) VIKING (lower)
>> Slot 6 - RQDX2
>>
>> I even tried moving the cards:
>>
>> Slot 1 - CPU
>> Slot 2 - Memory (Clearpoint)
>> Slot 3 - Memory (DEC)
>> Slot 4 - Bus Grant M9047
>> Slot 5 - DHV11
>> Slot 6 - TQK50  (upper) VIKING (lower)
>> Slot 7 - RQDX2
>>
>> In the last two configurations VMS sees the disk/floppy controller just fine but not the tape or serial ports.
>> Today I will pull the DHV11 and put it in the MV4000 and see if it shows up just to check if the board is OK.
>> If there is none, or a faulty, TK50 drive attached the controller does VMS react to this?
> So you added a "Viking", if I see right.  What sort of device is that?
>
> If it's an MSCP controller, it would go into the UDA50 floating CSR position.  DHV11 and TMSCP rank later than UDA50 in the floating CSR order, so if you added a MSCP controller without adjusting the CSR address switches of those two cards, they would not be correctly recognized as I discussed in my earlier mail today.  The order of the cards in the chassis does not affect that; device identification in Unibus and Qbus has no connection to physical card position.
>
> 	paul

Yes, it is an MSCP disk controller, and it seems to work OK.  I boot
from it and the CSR is at the standard 1st address, it is connected to a
SCSI2SD board.

I think you have a good point about CSR addresses.  There is a CONFIGURE
tool that tells you what set the addresses to for a particular
collection of options, I need to run that and then check that all the
devices are set to the proper addresses.

I suspect that I don't see MUA0 show up because the tape drive is not
working properly.

Doug