Microvax II hardware not recognized

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 14:00:29 CDT 2016

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 2:55 PM, Douglas Taylor <dj.taylor4 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> On 8/19/2016 12:19 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
>>> On Aug 19, 2016, at 11:58 AM, Douglas Taylor <dj.taylor4 at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> It is the World Box, BA123 and I have hardware manuals that came with the MVII.
>>> When I got it this was the configuration:
>>> Slot 1 - CPU
>>> Slot 2 - Memory
>>> Slot 3 - Bus Grant Card M9047
>>> Slot 4 - DHV11
>>> Slot 5 - TQK50  (upper) M9047 (lower)
>>> Slot 6 - RQDX2
>>>
>>> The new configuration is:
>>>
>>> Slot 1 - CPU
>>> Slot 2 - Memory (Clearpoint)
>>> Slot 3 - Memory (DEC)
>>> Slot 4 - DHV11
>>> Slot 5 - TQK50  (upper) VIKING (lower)
>>> Slot 6 - RQDX2
>>>
>>> I even tried moving the cards:
>>>
>>> Slot 1 - CPU
>>> Slot 2 - Memory (Clearpoint)
>>> Slot 3 - Memory (DEC)
>>> Slot 4 - Bus Grant M9047
>>> Slot 5 - DHV11
>>> Slot 6 - TQK50  (upper) VIKING (lower)
>>> Slot 7 - RQDX2
>>>
>>> In the last two configurations VMS sees the disk/floppy controller just fine but not the tape or serial ports.
>>> Today I will pull the DHV11 and put it in the MV4000 and see if it shows up just to check if the board is OK.
>>> If there is none, or a faulty, TK50 drive attached the controller does VMS react to this?
>> So you added a "Viking", if I see right.  What sort of device is that?
>>
>> If it's an MSCP controller, it would go into the UDA50 floating CSR position.  DHV11 and TMSCP rank later than UDA50 in the floating CSR order, so if you added a MSCP controller without adjusting the CSR address switches of those two cards, they would not be correctly recognized as I discussed in my earlier mail today.  The order of the cards in the chassis does not affect that; device identification in Unibus and Qbus has no connection to physical card position.
>>
>> 	paul
>>

> Yes, it is an MSCP disk controller, and it seems to work OK.  I boot from it and the CSR is at the standard 1st address, it is connected to a SCSI2SD board.
>
> I think you have a good point about CSR addresses.  There is a CONFIGURE tool that tells you what set the addresses to for a particular collection of options, I need to run that and then check that all the devices are set to the proper addresses.
>
> I suspect that I don't see MUA0 show up because the tape drive is not working properly.

To make matters confusing, there's an aspect of floating CSRs I did not mention before.  Some devices -- MSCP disk is one, TMSCP tape also I think -- have floating CSRS for the second and subsequent units, but the first is fixed.  Others, like the DHV11, are all floating (including the first unit).

	paul