X server for original PC (8088/8086)

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 12:20:06 CDT 2016

On 08/20/2016 09:06 AM, tony duell wrote:
> Somewhere I have a thing badged 'Princeton Ultra-X'. This is a pizza-box type
> slab that goes under a VGA montor and links to a keyboard and mouse and is,
> of course a standalone Xterminal.
>
> It uses an 80188 for I/O (including 10Mbps ethernet). The Xserver is in EPROMs
> and appears to run on the TMS34010 graphics processor.

I had a similar unit from NCD, which if I remember right had an m88k CPU as
its heart. That one was 8-bit color (at 1024x786, I think), so maybe a
little newer than yours. I have no idea what happened to it!

Back in the day I remember using monochrome NCD X terminals though, and
those things were just great - it would be nice to find one again one day.
  I just did some searching and can't even find a photo of one online. The
displays were large, and I want to say the aspect ratio was either portrait
or maybe square, rather than any kind of modern landscape nonsense :-)

cheers

Jules