MicroVAX II Console Garbling Characters

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 24 11:21:17 CDT 2016

> Incidentally, the terminal and the machine *were* plugged into different
> sockets, but now they are connected to the same wall socket and the
> problem persists.

Actually, since connecting terminal and machine to the same wall socket, the
garbling seems to have much reduced, but I do get lots of dropped characters
all the same.

For example the prompt to enter date and time appeared without the final
colon. I then pressed CTRL-R to repeat it and it just typed "PLEASE", with
no further characters, but it then echoed the date and time as I entered it.
Like I said, it seems to be able to send a certain number of characters and
then loses the rest.

I saw the cab kit comment, and I also  wonder about that too. I am pretty
sure the terminal is OK though, because it seems to work OK on other
machines and I had exactly the same problems when using a DECserver 90M and
Putty (so no terminal at all). I can try swapping some parts around to see
if or when the problem goes away.

I suppose I was just hoping someone might have seen similar problems, but I
can do some deeper analysis to narrow it down more.

Regards

Rob