DEC Pro 350/380 Memory Cards - Interchangeability?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Aug 29 12:10:25 CDT 2016

> On Aug 29, 2016, at 12:33 PM, Rob Jarratt <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> wrote:

You should get the Pro 300 technical manual (two volumes) from Bitsavers.  It contains a great deal of relevant detail.

From Volume 1, page 4-4 summarizes the system memory for both models. Page 5-129 describes the memory daughter cards of the Pro-350.  Page 6-125 describes the memory daughter cards for the Pro-380.

I misremembered the 350 (I don't have one): it can have memory in the I/O card cage, but it also has memory daughter cards, two of them, with 40 pin connectors.

The Pro-380 has main memory on the motherboard.  It also supports an optional expansion card, just one, with a 48 pin connector.  The pinouts shown for the two types of daughtercards make it very clear that they are entirely incompatible.

The Pro-380 also has graphics on the motherboard (though EBO is an option, via a daughtercard).  So a Pro-380 with nothing in the I/O card cage should power up and give you a display on the screen (presumably one complaining about not having a bootable device controller...).

On the other hand, the Pro 350 uses a graphics card in the I/O cage, and EBO is a second I/O card connected to the main one via a jumper cable.  Neither of these is compatible with the Pro-380.

I have somewhere a printout (on 11x17 size paper, roughly A3) of the Pro 380 motherboard schematics.  I haven't seen those elsewhere.  I haven't tried to scan them but try if there's interest.

	paul