IBM System/360 Model 44 Pamphlet

steven at malikoff.com steven at malikoff.com
Fri Dec 9 17:46:15 CST 2016

Bill said that Paul said:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> > On Dec 9, 2016, at 1:22 PM, william degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > IBM System/360 Model 44 Pamphlet from Nov 1968
>> >
>> > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=659
>>
>> Nice.  The caption is odd; it claims that "... instruction set was
>> compatible with the /30 through /91 models" when the pamphlet itself makes
>> it quite clear that this is not so (no SS instructions).
>>
>> It's curious that the emulation feature, which adds software emulation of
>> those instructions, isn't mentioned, and in fact I haven't seen it
>> mentioned anywhere.
>>
>>         paul
>>

> Paul,
> You're right, the brochure says only through the /75, my error.  I fixed
> the page.
>
> I should have written programs written for the Model 44 will be compatible
> with the System/360 Model 30 through 91, provided the configurations are
> comparable and the programs and not time dependent.
>
> Bill

Thank you for the interesting brochure Bill, as far as I know the Model 44 was
a bit of an odd duck in having a modified instruction set.

I have something relevant of my own to contribute: My dad's 360 Reference Card
with his scribbled-on annotations for the Model 44 ie, 2044 CPU:

http://web.aanet.com.au/~malikoff/ibm/IBM_System_360_Reference_Card_with_Model44_2044_CPU_annotations_by_Alec_Malikoff.pdf

The annotations are on pages 1, 2, 5 and 6. I think at least one of the universities here
in Oz had a Model 44, I guess he had to service it, but mainly he was a Model 40 CE.

Steve.