PDP-6s at MIT

Huw Davies huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Sun Dec 25 16:53:34 CST 2016

> On 24 Dec 2016, at 06:00, Lars Brinkhoff <lars at nocrew.org> wrote:
>
> Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
>> I have tried to keep track of all the ITS machines, and where they went.
>> https://github.com/PDP-10/its/issues/181
>
> By the way, the Australian ITS called FU is a great mystery.  I only
> found it mentioned in the ITS source code.

Flinders University had a 36 bit system (I’m not sure if it was a KI or KL). I think they were running TOPS-20 on it. I see in the notes the they were running ITS on a KS - seems a rather odd thing to do as they’d invested a lot in there other system but perhaps it was a separate project outside of their main Computer Centre stuff. They had a very innovative medical degree program so perhaps this was associated with it?

I remember visiting once for a DECUS meeting - at that stage I was a student at La Trobe University and we had a KI-10 running TOPS-10. For that particular DECUS meeting I’d worked on comparing various ‘systems’ programming languages for ease of use and performance - the list included BCPL. BLISS-10, Simula-67, SAIL, MACRO-10 and Algol-60.

As some on the list know, this includes my favourite language which puts me at odds with many within Digital :-)

Huw Davies           | e-mail: Huw.Davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"