DEC color standards was: Re: Banner Panels

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 31 01:03:03 CST 2016

On 31/12/2016 04:14, william degnan wrote:
> You can add the industrial/11 blue and red to your color page, not an exact
> match to any that you have on your site, but my photos are not color
> consistent, you'd have to see or scan.  From my eye (and I am a web
> designer who has to match colors for living) my actual industrial/11 is
> red/white/blue as in the USA flag colors, pretty down the middle primary
> colors, despite what my photos show.  The banner is blue/red but it's a
> little faded, the paddles are more "as-was", here is the most accurate
> photo, or you can search youtube for industrial/11 to see it.
>
> http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/PDP11-40_industrial11/frontpanel/industrial11_cover-removed.jpg
>
> Bill
>
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 10:49 PM, Charles Dickman <chd at chdickman.com> wrote:
>
>> Rod,
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 8:04 PM, Rod Smallwood
>> <rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Guys
>>>
>>>              I have had a quick word with the girls down at the silk
>> screen
>>> shop.
>> A couple of years ago I tried to translate the DEC color standards to
>> RGB based on the colors in the standards on bitsavers. Here is what I
>> came up with:
>>
>> http://www.chdickman.com/pdp8/DECcolors/
>>
>> I think I posted this already.
>>
>> How have you been doing your color matching? Have you published a
>> color list for the panels you have made? I am thinking about color
>> matching for switch handles for example that are in the same colors.
>> Some enduring standard translation for the colors would be great to
>> have available in the future.
>>
>> I never imagined how slippery color was until I tried to do the color
>> matching from the DEC standards. I had to meet Munsell, Ostwald and
>> the CHM (Color Harmony Manual, not the Computer History Museum),
>> before I was done. And Pantone seems to be the Microsoft of color.
>>
>> -chuck

Hi
         First of all it depends what color you are trying to get to.

                  1.  As it left the factory.

                   2.  As it appears to-day.

                   3.  What the spec (if they bothered with it) said.

How do I do it on front panels? Well I don't.
I'm partly color blind which does not matter as all my drawings are in
black and white for color separations.

I have two nice young ladies their mid twenties with exceptional vison
and are certified colorists.
They also have access via their ink supplier to a spectropotometer if
needed.

I'm waiting on a quote for the blank aluminium panels

Rod (Panelman) Smallwood