Can Windows 98SE run on an Intel I7 with SATA hard drives?

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Thu Feb 4 10:08:14 CST 2016

> ports. For my purposes (setting up a variety of vintage specialized
> hardware over RS-232) NT-based operating systems are sometimes unusable
> because they present the application program with a virtual serial port,
> and MS-DOS programs running under those operating systems cannot read
> from or write to the UART registers. Some of the setup programs for that

If you're trying to bitbang the RS232 port to decode POCSAG or something
perhaps. If you're trying to use old Windows software in more modern
versions of Windows and can't because the old software doesn't know how to
set up Windows for direct access to the hardware there is a utility called
allowio.exe that can be run with your app and you can specify address
ranges to allow through Windows. I used it running Win98 based laser show
software that bit banged printer port under XP.

--
Ethan O'Toole