Calibration of 8" floppy drive?

James Attfield james at attfield.co.uk
Sat Feb 6 17:27:36 CST 2016

> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2016 00:46:33 -0500
> From: Dan K <100dashsix at gmail.com>
> To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"
> 	<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> Subject: Re: Calibration of 8" floppy drive?
>
> Are there any good alternative solutions I can do to replace it? I'm
> sure I don't want the plastic touching the disk media.
>
> -Dan

Seems like eons since I learned to align PerSci 299B's with Dysan alignment
disks and 'cat's eyes' on a 'scope :)

I echo the other sentiments here - do NOT undo or unscrew anything relating
to head positions especially involving allen (hex) screws unless you have a
'scope, an alignment disk, a very good quality set of hex screwdrivers (keys
will normally NOT suffice) and a modicum of experience. Granted, lead screw
single-headers are a little easier to do than voice-coil double-headers but
if you don't have to get into it then don't - explore all other options
first.

I'm afraid my TM-848's are double headers so the top head provides the
pressure but back when the drives were single headed felt pads did the job
of the second head. The tension was provided by the spring, the pad just
prevented scoring. I do NOT speak from experience BUT if I had to use
anything the kind of small felt pads you can get from hardware stores (e.g.
B&Q in the UK) seem remarkably similar in composition and would be worth a
try especially if you have one original to compare. Cut to shape, most are
self-adhesive too - bonus.

HTH

James