IBM 3290 terminal

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 14:33:44 CST 2016

Imaging the thing will be extremely tricky; the 3174 uses 2.4MB
floppies which I don't think are used *anywhere* else; you can't just
pull the drive out of the 3174 and throw it on a PC because the BIOS
won't have a clue about 2.4MB 5 1/4" disks; people have tried that
approach before. And the code doesn't allow you to format a blank
floppy; you have to use IBM pre-formatted disks. You can copy the code
from one disk to another.

But the easiest way would be to do what Guy has done; take a 3174 with
a hard disk and replace the disk with an MFM emulator. You *can* copy
the 3290 DSL code from a floppy to a hard disk and run it from
there... does your Memorex device have a hard disk? If not I would
suggest obtaining a 3174 with a hard disk as a first step; they're
relatively plentiful and cheap and you WILL want it to avoid dealing
with the hassles of flaky floppy hardware. In fact I would suggest
obtaining one anyway; no reason to mess around with a non-standard
Memorex when 'everyone else' is using real 3174s...

Mike