Couple of Xerox 6085 questions

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Tue Feb 16 18:43:59 CST 2016

On 2/16/16 2:35 PM, Mike Ross wrote:
> 1. Anyone who has played with Xerox systems will have encountered the
> dreaded 0937 code at boot time; it means "I have been configured for
> network operations. I abjure the world and will wait until hell
> freezes over before continuing the boot - unless I get the time from a
> network time server!"
>
> This is inconvenient and frustrating at times. Netware IPX/SPX is
> basically Xerox XNS implemented pretty much unchanged; does anyone
> happen to know if a Netware server can provide network time server
> functions - and in a way that a Xerox workstation would grok?

there was an NS time server for Unix. it would require some hacking to
get it
to work on another system

You can set the time manually, but its a bit awkward to set up. See page
B-7 of 610E00201_XDE_User_Guide_Oct88.pdf under xerox/xde on bitsavers

> 2. I haven't powered up my 6085s in a long time - at least 5 years;
> maybe 10 for some of them. The results have been most disappointing.
> They won't even *start* POST - and/or they give a rolling screen with
> no sync - and/or a blank screen - and/or they pass POST but won't boot
> with an 0151 error. I've tracked these down in most cases to flaky IOB
> boards. These boards hold the system PROMs. Anyone else seen similar
> issues? Could it be bit rot in the PROMs? Is that a known thing with
> 6085s?

possible. I'm digging out all of my 6085 parts now so I'll know more in
a couple of months