Vaxstation 3100 - I have console access

Bryan C. Everly bryan at bceassociates.com
Thu Feb 18 08:14:13 CST 2016

Peter,

Thanks for the email.  My challenge is that this machine has a floppy and a
SCSI drive (both appear to be cabled correctly when I open things up) and
yet neither show up when I do a "show device" from the console.

>>> show device

 VMS/VMB  ULTRIX    ADDR    DEVTYP  NUMBYTES  RM/FX  WP  DEVNAM  REV
 ESA0     SE0     08-00-2B-16-58-20

Therefore, when I issue a "boot" command, it's trying to boot from the
network and not from the floppy I currently have inserted.

Any ideas on troubleshooting I can do to determine why it isn't seeing
things on the SCSI bus?  (I'm assuming this is a SCSI floppy - please let
me know if I'm incorrect in that assumption.)

Thanks,
Bryan