Logic Analyser Polling ....

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Feb 20 16:42:20 CST 2016

On 02/20/2016 03:31 PM, GerardCJAT wrote:
> Which is your favourite ?  Why you like it and would recommend it ? and  .... How often you use it  ?

I had a Tek 1240.  Not bad, kind of short record length, but
you could put a bunch of channels on it.  But, it was REALLY
SLOWWWW to format up the display, and every couple pages
when scanning back and forth in time it would have to go
through the reformat again.  It did have a Z-80
disassembler, which was real nice at the time.

I then moved up to a Tek 9200 DAS.  I got it off eBay for
$700 when it went out of support from Tek.  Mine has 288
channels (3 each 92A96D cards) and cost $128,000 new.  These
cards have 96 channels at 100 MHz and 128K record length.
Supposedly, there's a way to link channels and get 200 MHz,
but I haven't figured out how to do it.  It is still a
little laggy when scrolling, but quite tolerable.  There is
a crazy way to add the Tek LA font to your X server so you
can run it from any X windows server.  I have this working
at work, with a TLA520.  At home I have the 9200
with their X-terminal, so I haven't bothered to set up the X
server to display from the LA.  (The TLA520 is almost
identical to the 9200, but in a smaller box.)

I've never used an HP LA, so I really can't compare.  I did
have one case at work where we had a really rare failure,
where a particular data word in a stream of words was
wrong.  I was able to set up a sequence of conditionals on
the TLA520 to step through to the specific word of the
packet and then if a certain range of bits was all zeros,
trigger the analyzer.  This was really great, as the failure
would only happen every 3-5 minutes.  I suppose the HP
analyzers have a similar capability.

Jon