Logic Analyser Polling ....

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 17:17:26 CST 2016

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 1:31 PM, GerardCJAT <gerardcjat at free.fr> wrote:
> Which is your favourite ?  Why you like it and would recommend it ? and  .... How often you use it  ?

If you are primarily asking about traditional big box with large
number of parallel channel logic analyzers (as opposed to 8/16 channel
USB based analyzers) I don't think you could go wrong with an HP /
Agilent 16700 series if you have the room to set one up.

At least in the US you should be able to pick up a bare mainframe
somewhere around $100, which shouldn't be much more than any older
generation HP / Agilent logic analyzers. Plug in logic analyzer
modules shouldn't cost too much and are readily available, along with
the necessary breakout lead sets and grabbers. With a 16700 series you
can hook up an external monitor at up to 1280x1024 or optionally
1600x1200 and you can see a lot of information simultaneously. Much
more so than on the older series with built in CRT displays.

For vintage micro work there were lots of CPU interfaces available,
although they are not always easy to find.

I have the following set of CPU preprocessor modules which mate with a
10269C interface for use with HP / Agilent logic analyzers:
10300B (64683A) Z80
10304B (64655A) 8085
10305B (64653A) 8086/8088
10307B (64672B) 6800/6802
10308B (64671A) 6809/6809E
10311B (64670A) 68000/68010
10312B (64657A) 80286
10314B (64659A) 80386
10342B RS-232C/V.24, RS-499, HP-IB bus preprocessor interface.
Also an E2423A SCSI bus preprocessor interface.

I have HP / Agilent 1660C, 16500A/B/C, 16600A, 16700A/B, 16702B, and
16900A analyzers. Most often (which isn't really all that often) I
would likely use a 16700B. I should get a 16700B set up with the
E2423A SCSI probe to take a look at what is going on when I try to use
an Emulex UC07 SCSI controller with some hard drives that it doesn't
seem to like.

I also have Tek TLA714/720/721 and TLA7016 logic analyzers. They don't
quite seem as natural to use to me as the HP / Agilent analyzers. Also
the cables and breakout lead sets seem to typically be more expensive
than the HP / Agilent ones.

-Glen