Logic Analyser Polling ....

Corey Cohen applecorey at optonline.net
Sun Feb 21 05:19:35 CST 2016

There is another option to all this.  You could use a modern 16 or 24 channel logic analyzer.  I have in my "bag" a Saleae logic16.  They have a new version called the pro that even does some scope like signal analysis.

Anyway, it was invaluable working on my Scelbi when troubleshooting because it hooks right up to my MacBook and allows me to store entire runs of the system with gigabytes of capture.  I was tracking down a wonky step process where the CPU seemed to auto advance when jamming instructions in if I waited more than a few seconds between steps.   Having a long running capture with something quick to setup really helps.   It's also really cool to watch the entire Sol-20 boot up process into Solos.

The other really useful thing about the Saleae logic stuff is size.  It has come in useful when I have to go somewhere other than my workbench to fix something because it's very portable.   It is very impractical for me to bring more than some hand tools, a hand held DSO, my Saleae, a hakko desoldering gun and a portable temp controlled soldering iron to some of the places I have had to do repairs on vintage tech.

Cheers,
Corey

corey cohen
uǝɥoɔ ʎǝɹoɔ