OK, one more question about sending email TO an old VAX

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 06:31:33 CST 2016

P. Coghlan logged into my server and found the problem was due to a logical
assigned to SYSTEM.  If I had created a new user, inbound mail to the other
user would have worked fine, the issue was with sending mail to the SYSTEM
user specifically.  That's why nothing wrong was found with multinet mail
settings, and why I was confused.  P Coghlan writes:

"..To temporarily get rid of the logical name I did:

$ DEASSIGN /SYSTEM /EXEC SYSTEM ..."

He also commented out the line in ..startup_v5.com to prevent reloading of
the logical on boot.  I need to go through startup more closely to see what
else is happening there.

This was a good learning experience for me.

Now, emails to system at microvax3100.vintagecomputer.net are delivered.
Friends from vcfed.org sent test messages all evening, works great.

Thanks everyone.

P.S. The server is not powered on at the moment so if you were to attempt a
message it'd have issues.  Contact me privately if you want to access the
server.

Bill Degnan
twitter: billdeg
vintagecomputer.net