Retrocomputing on StackExchange...

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Fri Jan 15 18:53:11 CST 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca> wrote:

> On 2016-Jan-15, at 4:12 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> > Ah, old eyes!
> >
> > I originally read the title of the thread as "Retrocomputing on Stock
> Excahange".
> >
> > So, does anyone collect Bunker-Ramo gear here?
> >
> > Just curious,
> > Chuck
>

> Well, collecting Bunker-Ramo stuff as an objective would be overstating
> it, but I have a 1960s Bunker-Ramo modem (Bell 202, half-duplex, 1200bps,
> discrete transistor, about the size of two toasters). Not much to do with
> it, as there is (or I have) nothing else to talk to it.
>
> I'm guessing: are you mentioning BR here in relation to stock exchanges -
> were they a major supplier for stock exchange data services?

Likewise, not a conscious collection but I do have a BR-2412.  It's a
pretty interesting machine, based on the Nuclear Data 812.  It lights up,
but doesn't respond to much.  I really want to dig into it - soon, soon.  I
even have some sample code for it, courtesy of the US Government!

I also have the peripheral interface unit, but I have NO data on that.

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."