RIFA EMI caps [WAS: Re: VT100 PSU smelling.]

Pontus pontus at update.uu.se
Sat Jan 23 16:40:10 CST 2016

On 01/23/2016 01:26 AM, Tothwolf wrote:

> They can. The translucent yellow Rifa (now owned by Kemet) class X/Y
> safety capacitors in particular have a 100% failure rate and are on my
> replace-on-sight list. They usually begin to show visible signs of
> cracking in their outer casing before they finally go out with a bang.
> It seems to be due to chemical decomposition of the paper insulator
> which swells over time and causes the case to crack. I usually replace
> them with a film capacitor from Epcos of the same value and safety class.

I have heard similar from a few other places. And I'm replacing a five
of these in a bigger SGI PSU as preventive maintenance. A few of them
are showing cracks.

All I could find were new similar Kemet capacitors. Do you know if newer
Kemet suffer from the same problem and I will regret buying them?

Thanks,
Pontus.