HP 9000/382 Questions

Rik Bos hp-fix at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 25 16:22:24 CST 2016

> These tapes where used in a number of machine such as 9825, 9831, 9835, 9845,
> 9915, and 85A&B.  There was also at least 1 external tape drive that used these
> tapes not to mention DEC made a drive for them as well.
> If you hope to recover the data off the tapes you would probably need access to
> the system they where written on as the data format is not the same on all
> machines.
>
> I can't think of any of the 68K 9000s that used DC100A tapes by then almost
> everything was diskettes 8", 5.25, and 3.5 where all supported however some of
> the early software for 200s was quite restricted in the formats supported.
>
> The DC100A has the same arrangement inside as a DC-300 just smaller.  I have
> had some success replacing rotted drive belts with PLASTIBANDS.
>
> Paul.

Aagh, I forgot about the HP85 some instrument programs where written for those.
So you have to check the part numbers of the tape and look in the service manuals to see where the tapes are for.
The 9875A and 9877A are external tape drives for the DC100A tapes almost unobtainable like the HP 9831A which is also very rare (I know just 3 including mine) .
The only 9875A and 9877A I know are at both the HP Museums.

-Rik