What to Do with a PS/2?

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 18:33:56 CST 2016

On 01/25/2016 12:29 AM, Mark J. Blair wrote:
> To my surprise, I found something just barely old enough to interest me
> on the e-waste pile at work: An IBM PS/2 85 from around 1993 or so.

Neat. Likewise here, I found a 65sx a couple of years ago and it's just
quirky and old enough to keep around. Surprisingly the right mouse for it
turned up a short while after, and then I found a period model M around 6
months ago.

> The machine has 12M of parity RAM, with one SIMM slot pair still open.

If you ever find any surplus RAM, shout - my system had 6M, but 4 of that
is snafu, and it could really use a little more.

> I replaced the CMOS battery (conveniently, a CR2032 coin cell, available
> at the local supermarket)

Lucky. Mine head a dead Dallas chip which I had to attack with a dremel to
expose the battery connections. Oh, and a ton of gloopy, decaying black
foam sound-deadening / baffle material.

> OS/2 2.0 would probably be more appropriate for this machine, but I
 > don't have it.

I was hopeful that mine would, but sadly not - just an MS-DOS system. It
does have a copy of Micro CADAM on there, which I expect was what it spent
its life running.

> And now that it is cleaned up and working, I have no clue about what to
> do with it!

Mine just kind of sits around in case I ever *need* an MCA-bus system for
some oddball reason. The copy of CADAM on it is vaguely interesting, but
the UI isn't exactly intuitive and without documentation it's difficult to
make it do anything.

cheers

Jules