Substituting DSHD for DSDD disks (or DS2D if you prefer)

CuriousMarc curiousmarc3 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 23:10:27 CST 2016

You make me feel lucky. I have all 3 (almost, I have the low density HP 9121 rather than an HD 9122 so I can use it on my HP 85)... Haven't restored or even powered up the recently acquired HP 9895 yet, but the HP 82901A and the HP 9121D now work great. Quite low capacity (270k?) due to the weird LIF formatting, formats 35 tracks but uses only 33, out of the 40. I wonder why. I don't know anything yet about the 8" HP 9895 and its encoding. I thought they were surprisingly high capacity (1.2 MB?) considering their age. Am I right?
Marc