Non-baking cure for sticky shed?

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 08:47:06 CST 2016

> On 01/16/2016 03:02 AM, Mattis Lind wrote:
>

>> Try this for your Inmac disk (I used to buy cables and such from
> them--Inmac blue):
>
> Bake the disk first.
>
> Get yourself some cyclomethicone (D5 lubricant) and coat both the front
> and back of the disk by swabbing it  on the surface, then rotating the
> disk, then repeating until the entire surface is coated, then read the disk
> immediately.  D5 is somewhat volatile and will eventually evaporate
> completely.  I've used this method for very severely compromised disks and
> tapes where the binder has actually bled through to the oxide surface with
> great success.  In the case of tapes, I mount the tape on my cleaning
> machine and use a thick felt strip to wipe the stuff on.

OK. I followed this very good advice and it was a 100% success!  The disk
which when I previously tried to read it sounded very bad and when I
stopped the reading there was a circular track on the disk where you could
see through it - now it read perfectly - not a lost sector!

I baked it for approximately one hour before reading. It seems to have been
enough.

> You can use any excess D5 to untangle your hair (used in a lot of shampoos
> and horse grooming stuff).  Utterly inert chemically.

I guess that my daughters will have more use for it than I, but I doubt
that they find a bottle marked "Deoxit D5" very appealing to use in their
hair.

Once again thanks for this piece of very good advice!