Repairing a Supermicro P6DLF motherboard

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Wed Jul 6 19:01:07 CDT 2016

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016, Tothwolf wrote:

> The electrolytic capacitors on this particular board at locations CE1
> and CE6 have Sanyo OS-CON 220uF 10V polymer parts (purple sleeve and
> appear to be 10SA220M) fitted and the solder work was done by hand. The
> joints were completely defluxed/cleaned, but the leads were hand sheared
> down into the solder joint. All of the other electrolytic capacitors on
> this board are Sanyo CG series 1000uF 16V (green) that were wave
> soldered.
>
> I suspect two of the Sanyo CG series parts were replaced at some point
> by a prior owner with the SA series polymer parts. According to the SA
> series datasheet, the largest 10mm diameter part is 220uF 10V, which may
> be why those were installed. I haven't used one of these boards since
> the late '90s when I built a workstation with one, and I can't remember
> with 100% certainty that Supermicro didn't use a few polymer parts on
> these boards.

I've been able to confirm that CE1 and CE6 on the P6DLH motherboard should
be 1000uF 16V just like all the other Sanyo CG series capacitors on the
board. I have no idea why someone replaced those two on this particular
board with 220uF 10V OS-CON polymer parts (which are in parallel with
other original 1000uF capacitors), but I'll install the correct value for
those two capacitors when I replace the others.