word processor history -- interesting article (Evan Koblentz)

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 13:15:24 CDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 8:12 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> But when I got my hands on early Macs and Windows 2 in my first job, I
> discovered the CUA model, and I've liked it ever since. I still miss
> CUA editing on the Linux command line.
>
> There are some: http://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/42908.html

Thanks, Liam -- that page has finally brought back to me the name of Xwpe,
an IDE/editor I played around with a little in the 90s. I never really used
it for anything, but for whatever reason I've been really curious about its
identity for all this time.

"
First, he pointed me at XWPE. It certainly looks the part, but sadly the
project seems to have died. I did get it running on Fedora 20 by installing
some extra libraries and symlinking them to names XWPE wanted, but it
crashes very readily.
http://www.identicalsoftware.com/xwpe
"

--