word processor history -- interesting article (Evan Koblentz)

Sean Conner spc at conman.org
Fri Jul 8 15:43:36 CDT 2016

It was thus said that the Great Paul Berger once stated:

> The DOS editor I really like  was originally call PE and an enhanced
> version "E" was shipped with later version of PC-DOS, there are also
> some clones of the editor floating around as well.  I still use this
> editor regularly because of its very flexible ways of selecting and
> manipulating text.

  I used PE 1.0 for *years* as my editor, and only found two issues with it:

	1) it only supported lines of 255 characters or less
	2) it didn't handle files where lines didn't end with CRLF

That's it.  I was even able to edit files that exceeded the RAM of the
machine (I didn't do it often since it was sluggish but it could handle it).

  -spc (I just wish I could have found the source code to is, but alas ... )