DOS code in CP/M? Revisited...

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Jul 15 13:30:11 CDT 2016

On 07/15/2016 11:10 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

> We don't appreciate how much faster modern PCs are than the old
> ones, because modern PC OSes are so appallingly slow and bloated.

Reminds me of a conversation that I had with Greg Mansfield back in the
mid-80s when he was working for Cray.   I was grousing about the time
spent recompiling the BSD kernel on a VAX 11/750, even when streamlining
the process through partial recompilation (i.e. compiling only those
parts needing it).  Greg was working with, IIRC, UniCOS at the time and
confided that on an X/MP he didn't bother with partial
recompilation--there was no practical time savings realizable.

Flash back to 1975 when recompiling the STAR OS kernel on a dedicated
STAR 1B took all night--assuming that the machine stayed up that long.

--Chuck