VMS stability back in the day (was Re: NuTek Mac comes)

steven at malikoff.com steven at malikoff.com
Sat Jul 16 17:21:16 CDT 2016

jonas said:
> VMS is an
> enterprise-grade operating system, designed for serious production work.
> At the time VMS was conceived, Unix was a university product, used for
> teaching and research, not for heavy production work.

In the mid 80s our Uni teaching 11/780 running VMS would groan and creak
under the strain of 50 students logged on. I was told that over at Sydney
Uni, their 11/780s were running a very modded and tweaked Unix and could
have a hundred or more students logged in on the one machine. Whether it
was crashy or not, they got more bang-for-buck out of their VAXen.