OSX, OS/2, ECS, and Blue Lion (was Re: NuTek Mac comes)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 09:48:34 CDT 2016

On 15 July 2016 at 20:48, Jerry Kemp <other at oryx.us> wrote:
> I guess I am glad that someone getting something positive from windows.
>
> I have never viewed it as any more than a virus distribution system with a
> poorly written GUI front end.

I am ambivalent. I don't particularly like it any more, but the
reasons are secondary: the poor security, the copy protection, the
poor performance because of the requirement for anti-malware, etc.

The core product was pretty good once. Windows 3.0 was a technical
triumph, Windows for Workgroups impressive, and Win95 a tour de force.
For me, Win 2K was about the peak; XP started the trend of adding
bloat, although it did have worthwhile features too.

Win95 was vastly easier to get installed & working than OS/2 2, it had
a better shell -- sorry, but it really was -- better compatibility and
better performance. No, the stability wasn't as good, but while OS/2 2
was better, NT 3.x was better than OS/2 2.x et seq.

It would be technically possible to produce a streamlined,
stripped-down Windows that was a bloody good OS, but MS lacks the
will. Shame.