Cray J932SE (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 11:10:01 CDT 2016

> On Jul 19, 2016, at 11:58 AM, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2016, Paul Koning wrote:
>>> The photo of that unit is entertaining. Whoever buys it will need to setup
>>> 3x 30A 220v outlets. That's going to make some licensed electrician very
>>> happy.
>> Or hobbyist.  It's pretty trivial, after all.  If you live in a state
>> where that's not allowed, that would be an issue.
>
> With respect, in my view, it's not trivial. ... That's real physical work
> in my book and may non-trivially eat your weekend.
>
> The other thing that's not trivial is that if you make a mistake, you will
> likely either: 1. Die.  2. Burn down your house. 3. Ruin some expensive
> and rare gear.
>
> To me, that all sounds like a helluva pain and != trivial. Then again, I'm
> a software guy. What do I know? :-P

It all depends on what you're comfortable with.  There are plenty of books explaining to homeowners how to wire outlets, add breakers, and even larger scale stuff like replacing whole panels.  https://www.amazon.com/Wiring-Simplified-Based-National-Electrical/dp/097929455X is one nice example, compact but densely packed.

Yes, it takes time to do it right, and installing conduit and thick wire demands some muscle.  Clearly, it's not for everyone.  Then again, neither is carpentry, or plumbing.  Personally, I will readily do electrical work, plumbing on a more limited basis, carpentry hardly at all.  Other people have a completely different list of what they would undertake.  For example, a lot of people would not tinker with software or networks.

This very definitely is an area where, if you're not 100% comfortable with the job, the right answer is to pay to have it done.

	paul