Reproduction micros

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Jul 21 09:20:48 CDT 2016

> On Jul 21, 2016, at 8:38 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 20 July 2016 at 21:29, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I don't remember the earlier ARM designs, but it was my impression that DEC's StrongARM was the one that made really large strides in low power (especially power per MHz of clock speed).  Interestingly enough, StrongARM was one of the few (and the first?) independent designs; it used the ARM architecture specification but not the actual logic design as others did.
>
> Hmm. That wasn't my impression at the time, no.

> So at least in the marketing to the Acorn user community, no, power
> draw wasn't even mentioned. It never came up. The original ARMs were
> low-power, and so was StrongARM.

Remember that the marketing in question was DEC marketing, well known for its utter ineptitude.  That had its origin in Ken Olsen's belief that marketing wasn't really needed (and, for that matter, that sales people didn't need to be paid commission).

I very definitely remember discussions at the time about the unprecedented power/bandwidth value delivered by the SA110.  "One mW per MIPS" is one phrase that I remember from that time.

	paul