QuietJet Plus (wide Carriage RS232/Centronics) (FPUIB) (Was: Found some stuff at the scrapyard

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Jul 27 17:08:57 CDT 2016

> There were also variant models with "Centronics" interface.
> narrow and wide carriage.
> College dumpstered at least a hundred of them.
Almost all working fine at the time.
> At one point, they fired a tenured faculty member for dumpster diving.
> I didn't get caught.

I have a WIDE CARRIAGE QuietJet Plus, with serial/parallel, to get rid of.
FREE if you come get it.   (Near Berkeley, in El Cerrito)
Bunches of money if you want it to be packed well.

No (missing) [external] power supply (brick)

On the back, it has an opening labelled "PARALLEL" with a Blue-ribbon
("Centronics") connector recessed half an inch back, an opening labelled
"RS-232-C" and "HP-IB" with a DB25 (HP-IB is only on the 2227B model)
(NO idea and DOUBTFUL whether user convertible), and an opening with 4
male pins labelled "20Vac"

16 (DIP) switches inside, with label to partially identify them.

The label on the bottom says "2227A"  and mentions 20Vac / 18 Watts.

No rear paper bales (those pieces of old shopping carts that guide the
paper to the printer)
Friction and adjustable tractor/pin-feed up to slightly over 15"
pin-to-pin

A little crud on top surfaces, but not the worst that I've seen.
Sides and bottom are clean.
Looks like it was in excellent shape before being stored [indoors] without
an overhead cover.
Plastic not yellowed.

Has a [presumably dead and fossilized] ink cartridge that does not seem to
have been leaking.   Can those be refilled?
Same cartridge used in Kodak Diconix, and s'posedly still available at
Staples!

BLACK AND WHITE.
NO color nor colour!

22" x 8" x 4.5"
One of the most compact wide carriage printers that were made.

Windows 3.x drivers:
http://support.hp.com/id-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Quietjet-Plus-Printer/25501/model/15162

Supposedly drivers for Windoze through 10! and Mac:
http://fbdrivers.com/download-hp-quietjet-driver.html#Download_HP_Quietjet_Driver_for_Windows_64_Bit

"near letter quality"  (19x32)
96 x 96 to 192 x 192 dpi.

Documentation  "service" manual (NOT repair)
ftp://ps-2.kev009.com/incoming/jim/TSSPRT/acroread/tssfact/tfsprt/hp/tfshp036.pdf
Specs:
http://www.retrocomputing.net/parts/hp/printers/QUIET/docs/TJQJQJPlusTechData-595201446-6pages-Dec89.pdf

FREE if you come get it.  (near Berkeley, in El Cerrito)
Bunches of money if you want it to be packed well.

OB_Standard_Disclaimer:  Guaranteed not to work.  In the event of our
quality control being shoddy, if it does turn out to be working, you may
bring it back (at your expense) for a refund of half your purchase price.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com